We’re a certified social enterprise and a member of the national trade body, Social Enterprise UK. This means:
- We have a clear social & environmental mission set out in our governing documents
- We reinvest a majority of our profits back into supporting these goals
- We are accountable & transparent
We are one of more than 70,000 social enterprises across Britain tackling social and environmental problems. As a result of being free of shareholders, social enterprises choose to plough their profits back into the business to deliver on their social or environmental mission. This might be getting homeless people off the streets and into work, or reducing the amount of waste that goes into landfill. These things help towards creating a sustainable lifestyle.
UK social enterprise facts
- Britain’s social enterprise sector contributes 24 billion to the economy and employs one million people.
- Social enterprises are much more likely to be led by women than mainstream businesses. 40% per cent of social enterprises have a female chief executive, compared with 7% of FTSE 100 companies.
- The majority of social enterprises (59%) actively employ people who are disadvantaged in the labour market, including ex-offenders, people with disabilities and the long-term unemployed.
- Three quarters (74%) of social enterprises pay the Living Wage as accredited by the Living Wage Foundation.
To find out more about social enterprise, visit https://www.socialenterprise.org.uk/What-is-it-all-about